Spring (or Roll) into Summer 2017
Change up your dinner routine with fresh spring rolls.
SPRING ROLLS (Serves 6)
- 50 g vermicelli
- 85 g snow peas
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienned
- 12 sheets rice paper wrappers
- 12 large cooked shrimp, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup each fresh mint, basil and cilantro leaves
- 4 leaves green leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes
- In saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar, fish sauce, garlic, chili flakes and ó cup water to a simmer over medium heat, stirring just until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool to room temperature.
- Soak vermicelli in cold water until pliable, about 5 minutes.
- In large pot of boiling water, blanch vermicelli for 20 seconds, the snow peas for 30 seconds and the carrots for 30 seconds, rinsing them all in cold water immediately after blanching to stop further cooking. Drain and dry vermicelli and vegetables.
- Cut snow peas on long diagonal. Mix together the vermicelli, snow peas, carrots and cucumber.
- Fill a large shallow bowl or dish with warm water and soak one wrapper until soft, about 10 seconds. Place wrapper on dry cloth. Place two shrimp halves in the centre; top with some of the fresh herbs and a piece or two of the lettuce. Cover with the vegetable mixture. Roll into a cylinder, tucking in the edges as you roll. Put on a wax or parchment paper-lined tray and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.