A version of this article originally appeared in OUR HOMES Summer 2018.
The grilled cheese sandwich has been around since the inventions of processed cheese and sliced bread. For your next party or luncheon, here are three elevated takes on everyone's favourite sandwich. After all, it's what's inside that counts.
1 baguette, sliced
Choice of filling (3 recipes below)
• Slice baguette into an even number of pieces. Butter one side of each piece.
• Place slices butter side down in a frying pan over medium heat.
• Fill each sandwich with toppings outlined in the recipes to follow. Top with a second slice of baguette, butter-side up.
• Cook until bottom slice is golden brown, flip and repeat.
1. Peach & Candied Bacon Filling
Gouda cheese, sliced
1 or 2 fresh peaches, thinly sliced
Candied bacon (see below)
Dijon marmalade (see below)
Fresh sage, lightly fried
¼ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 pound thick sliced bacon
• Preheat oven to 400ºF, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with a wire rack.
• In a small bowl combine brown sugar, maple syrup and pepper.
• Lay bacon slices on wire rack, brush with sugar mixture, flip and brush other side. Bake for 10-15 minutes, flip
slices over and continue to bake until crisp and caramelized.
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp marmalade
• Combine Dijon mustard and marmalade. Season with black pepper.
Brie cheese, sliced
Fig caramelized onions (see below)
FIG CARAMELIZED ONIONS
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup white onion, thinly sliced
2 figs, diced
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Salt & pepper
• In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Slowly cook onions until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
• Once caramelized, add diced figs and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
• Allow the vinegar to deglaze the bottom of the pan and scrape up all of the bits on the pan.
• Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
3. Spinach Walnut Pesto Filling
Gorgonzola cheese, sliced
Spinach pesto (see below)
Heaping handful of fresh spinach
Handful of fresh basil
½ cup walnuts
¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
• In a food processor, add spinach, basil, walnuts, parmesan and garlic.
• Turn processor on and slowly add olive oil. Process until smooth.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.