8 Items Hiding in Your Pantry and How to Use them Up
Follow these 6 steps to a spring pantry cleanse.
6 steps to cleanse your pantry:
1. The first step in a pantry cleanse is to pull everything off the shelves. Do one or two cupboards at a time, that way, if you have to stop midway through you won’t have things all over your countertops.
2. Give the shelves a good cleaning. Use a natural or non-chemical cleaner as this is where food resides.
3. Check expiry dates and dispose of anything past its due.
4. Set the things you really want to use on the counter so you can easily access them. You know a half box of pasta will likely be used shortly, however the half bag of buckwheat flour or container of dried porcini mushrooms will need a bit more planning.
5. If you’re not up for cooking, drop off surplus food to your local soup kitchen or community food bank. These organizations will usually accept smaller items, but call first to confirm.
6. Once you have put all the neglected items aside, take out a pen and paper and plan dishes that will incorporate the items you’ve got. Try to combine two or three ingredients together in one dish so that you’ll make quicker work of using up the foods. Search ourhomes.ca for recipes that contain the ingredients you want to use, or try: allrecipes.com, foodnetwork.com, lcbo.com, epicurious.com, canadianliving.com.