A Roadside Score Becomes an Upcycled Chair
When this designer saw a chair on the roadside with a “Free” sign attached, she took a closer look.
Here’s how Masters creates a dazzling new chair:
• Tighten screws and use glue to make the chair sturdy again.
• Remove the dated upholstery fabric.
• Sand, prime, paint and then silver-leaf the arms.
• Masters selected a contemporary orange fabric with white and black accents. “I wanted the fabric to make a real statement,” she says. She worked with a custom upholsterer, who reinforced the chair, covered it with beautiful fabric and added rivets.
• Once reupholstered, she sanded areas of the arms to give a vintage look, then dry-brushed black paint on the exposed areas.
• Add a final varnish coat.