When I was younger, a winter day spent skiing guaranteed one thing: chili for dinner. Arriving home exhausted and rosy-cheeked from a day on the slopes we would be greeted with hearty, spicy scents from the simmering pot on the back burner. We stripped off soggy gloves and jacets and gathered around the table in our long undies and ski socks to tuck into bowl after bowl of mom’s delicious chilli.
Now, après ski has come to include more often a drink or two by the fire. But some things never change. Chili is my favourite winter meal to come home to after a day in the fresh air. The combination of spice, hearty beans and meat never fails to please a famished crowd. And while the classic red chilli is a staple in my home, sometimes it’s fun to mix things up.
Enter: white chicken chilli. Green chillies, white kidney beans, tender chicken and a hint of lime bring a taste of the southwest to the après table. Make it in a crock pot and no one has to watch the stove!
Makes 6 servings
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1 white onion, diced
2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cans (each 19 oz) white kidney beans
2 cans (each 127 mL) chopped green chilies
4 cups water or chicken broth
3 tbsp flour
2 tbsp lime juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In large pot, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in batches, transfer to plate.
- In same pot, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, cubanelle peppers, jalapeno pepper, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt, oregano and pepper until vegetables are softened and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot. Stir in beans, chilies and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk together flour and 3 tbsp water until smooth. Whisk into chili. Boil for two minutes to thicken.
- Stir in lime juice. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve!
- Brown chicken and sauté vegetables as above. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in beans, chilies and water. Cover and cook on low for about six hours.
- Whisk flour with water as above. Whisk into chili and cook on high for 20 minutes to thicken.
- Stir in lime juice. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.